Ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel made by fermenting and distilling starch crops, corn mostly. Only a relative handful of renewable energy companies produce it, but virtually all the ethanol they generate comes from renewable crops grown on American farms. One acre of corn can be processed into about 330 gallons of combustible ethanol.
E85 has a number of benefits and we are going to review them, as well as compare them to pump gas, conventional race gas, and methanol injection.
Cleaner & Powerful
E85 makes tremendous power. E85 E85 Pump runs cooler than regular pump gas or race gas. It burns cleaner and you get less soot out of your tail pipe. It cools down the air charge (air going into your cylinder) because of its evaporative properties and the fact that about 30% more fuel is injected to maintain the same air fuel as with gasoline. That extra volume also make turbocharged cars build their torque and spool quicker; often about 500RPM quicker! Lastly, and most importantly, people argue about the effective octane of E85, but the answer is right there on the dyno sheet. E85 makes very similar power to C16 or 117octane fuels safely!
E85 at the Service Pump
E85 requires about 30% more fuel by volume to make the same horsepower. That means we upsize injectors, pumps, and lines accordingly. All of our fuel systems that are E85 compatible have taken that into consideration. So if you buy your turbo kit, fuel system, and ECU from us, they’re all designed to work together.
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I FILL UP WITH E15?
- E15 is approved for cars manufactured in 2001 and later, which is about 200 million vehicles — or more than 87 percent — on the road today.
- E15 is found in 29 states and over 1350 retail locations.
- E15 is 88 octane.
- E15 is available at a price advantage.
- Higher performance, Higher octane.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ETHANOL?
- SAVE MONEY AT THE PUMP: FFV drivers reported maintaining similar mileage to regular gas when filling up with up to 30 percent ethanol.
- BOLSTER AMERICA’S ECONOMY: Ethanol supports local economies by keeping jobs in the U.S.
- DECREASE TAILPIPE EMISSIONS LIKE CO2 AND PARTICULATE MATTER: Additionally, grain-based ethanol can reduce GHG emissions by 57 percent compared to gasoline.
- STRENGTHEN U.S. ECONOMY: Diversifying the American energy basket reduces U.S. dependence on foreign oil.
IS ETHANOL PRODUCTION EFFICIENT?
- Over the past ten years, ethanol production facilities have substantially improved efficiency and efficacy.
- Energy output from ethanol facilities continues to increase.
- A recent USDA study shows that for every 1 BTU required for energy production, 2.3 BTUs of energy are produced.
HOW CAN I TELL IF I AM DRIVING A FLEX FUEL VEHICLE?
- Consult your owner’s manual.
- Look on the gas cap to see if it is yellow or says E85 compatible.
- Check the back of the vehicle to see if the rear says FLEX FUEL.
- Enter your vehicle make, model and year at: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/vehicles/search/light?fuel_ type_code=E85_GSL